Ryker had a follow-up appointment with his regular pediatrician on Friday. We talked about referrals for more occupational therapy and speech therapy. We also talked about the GFCF diet and how much Ryker has improved in the last month. The doctor agreed that Ryker has improved A LOT since he last saw him in November, and wanted to do some testing after I told him about the diet working. So, off to the lab we went for a blood draw. He was tested for gluten sensitivity and other food allergies, as well as celiacs disease and thyroid problems.
I received a call from the doctor at 5 p.m. He informed me that Ryker's thyroid test came back abnormal and we needed to do another blood draw (Monday) to run more tests. He also said that Celiacs and thyroid function normally go hand in hand, so that may be why he has done so much better on the gluten-free diet (we didn't see much change after taking away dairy-- but it became apparent that taking away the gluten has worked wonders).
He also said that because his thyroid isn't functioning the way it should, it is very possible that it causing Ryker's developmental delays, and we MAY be able to drop his autism label after we get treatment in place. WOW! We are not getting our hopes up, but this is a little glimmer of hope that we might get our little man back. He also has other symptoms associated with celiacs/thyroid: dry skin, protruding abdomen, diarrhea. We are so thankful for a proactive and thorough pediatrician. He recognized Ryker's delays (the 1st ped we had in Minnesota did not) and now caught his thyroid issue.
You can read about autism and celiacs HERE.
We still have quite a road ahead, whether he really is being effected by the thyroid/celiacs or not. He will still have to continue with his therapy because he IS still behind. But, with low thyroid function, there is no way to focus or learn. I dealt with hypothyroidism after my pregnancy and I know first-hand that you can't function properly. I could hardly stay awake, had no appetite, and a whole list of other symptoms. I just. couldn't. function. I feel for our little guy and can't wait to get him the treatment he needs.
Lots of thoughts and prayers would be appreciated for the upcoming weeks of blood draws, ultrasounds, and endocrinologist appointments!
Jess, that sounds like wonderful and anxious time for your family. I will keep y'all in my prayers that the new diet works and lil R man continues to progress!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is amazing, and wonderful yet bittersweet news. I am glad that you are finding answers. This is very encouraging!!! I am so happy to hear this and if you don't mind give Ryker a hug for me. Hang in there and you and your family are in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteA lot of the things that you described in this blog remind me of what Ive been going through with my 21 month old. It seems as my son constantly has loose stools and abdomen pain. He also gets these weird rashes that come from no where and then just go away. Ive also been having some serious behavioral issues. On top of all this he still isn't speaking. After reading your post I will be calling my sons physician to see if they will do some testing.
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa! I'm glad I could help you out. Definitely check with your physician. Ryker's other thyroid tests and ultrasound came back fine. Be sure they do the food allergy testing, celiacs, and thyroid.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I would suggest to you-- try taking dairy out of his diet. If you don't notice a change in his stools, put it back and take out gluten. Gluten can be tricky to take out because it hides in SO many foods-- even things like extracts. But, even a dramatic decrease may ease his symptoms. Just a thought because in the end, it won't hurt him so it is worth a try!
Thank you for replying to Melissa!! I refered her to your blog because of the Gluten stuff. She is my sister and thought it might help.
ReplyDeleteNo problem, Charlene! The GFCF diet has really helped Ryker, even though I know it isn't "scientifically" proven. I also had Ryker off gluten for 6 weeks before the doctor tested him, so I'm not sure that the results were accurate. So complicated! ;)
ReplyDelete