"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
The name Ryker is of Danish origin and means "strong power; hardy power". When we chose his name, the meaning of it never crossed our minds. I'm pretty sure I didn't look up the meaning until after he was born, and it wasn't until January 5th, 2011 that I would realize exactly how ironic it was that he was given the name Ryker.
It's important to always remember where we have been, so we can truly appreciate where we are now. I will never let a January 5th slip by without taking a little time to reflect on his progress and how our lives have changed.
In 2011, Adam and I were told that Ryker may never talk. He may never tell us "I love you.". He may never say "mom", "dad", or "sister". We were told he may never be able to engage or play with other kids. He may never look us in the eye. He may never function in a mainstream classroom. He probably won't start Kindergarten on time. He may never be comfortable outside of his home. He may always kick, scream, and bite.
As I sit here on January 5th, 2013... I can tell you they were wrong. I have heard "mom", "dad", "KK", and "I love you" a handful of times. His eye contact is awesome. He WILL be starting Kindergarten on time. He is starting to engage and play with other kids in his class. He loves to race scooters and play zoom ball with his friends at school. He's also been to his cousin's birthday party, participated in Halloween, and did great at Nana's for Christmas. The kid is a whiz on his iPad- he's already spelling! He is pointing, jumping, clapping, and singing melodies. He's eating meat- something he would gag at the site of for so long. He's much more calm and gentle. He even loves to give KK hugs.
There are still challenges- health as well as developmental. I still struggle with the fact that he has made so much progress, but the developmental gap isn't getting any smaller. There are days when I wish autism would just go away and leave our family alone. I wish we hadn't had to endure the heartache of this diagnosis and deal with the struggles that follow it. I wish we could do things the way "normal" families do- go out to dinner, amusement parks, zoo's, birthday parties, and family gatherings. I wish Ryker was caught up with his peers and that he learned in the same way.
BUT. There are far more days when I am proud, hopeful, excited, and grateful. We have been blessed with the most AMAZING support team. Ever. The people that surround Ryker during the school day and during his outside therapy are nothing short of amazing. His teachers and therapists are constantly challenging him, but are mindful of the way his mind works. He learns in a way that makes sense to HIM. We are grateful for their understanding and compassion because without it, he wouldn't be thriving. They continue to see his strengths and his potential and they have NEVER said never.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryker,
You are the true face of determination. I saw it the first time I held you and I still see it today. You have taught me so much about determination, happiness, joy, acceptance, and strength and you're only 3 years old! I can only imagine the things you'll teach me throughout the rest of your life.
The progress you have made in the last 2 years has been amazing. You continue to prove the doctors wrong and are doing things they said you may never do. Keep it up, bud. It may take you a little bit longer to grasp certain things, but continue to push forward. There is no limit on what you can do, I promise.
Thank you for each smile, each giggle, each gaze, and each word. Thank you for working so hard to say "mom". Boy, I waited so long to hear you say that. Thank you for saying "I love you." Even if I had only heard it once, that would have been enough. Thank you for saying "dad" and "KK". Those simple words have made your dad and sister's hearts smile. We will never take these times for granted because we understand they were never guaranteed for us.
Continue to be a positive face of autism. Show people that autism isn't what defines you; show them you have no limitations. Prove them wrong. Break the stigma of this diagnosis. Show them you are important. Show them you are intelligent. Show them you are happy.
Know that Dad, Makaylin, and I will always fight your fight; for your rights and for the opportunities you deserve. In fact, I've never fought so hard for something in my entire life, and I'll fight for you for the rest of my life because you deserve only the best.
You make us proud every single day and we love you. Keep on keepin' on, little man. Your strength holds more power than you even know.
Love,
Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment